Road Safety for Cyclists and Motorists - The Ultimate Online Guide
Few subjects cause more tension than the relationship between drivers and cyclists on our roads. It is not an easy partnership, and there will always be some level of animosity between two and four wheeled road users. However whether you’re a driver, cyclist or both, one thing we do need to be on the same page about is SAFETY.
ROSPA provides the statistics on collisions involving cyclists below:
• Around 75% of fatal or serious cyclist accidents occur in urban areas
• Around half of cyclist fatalities occur on rural roads
• 75% happen at, or near, a road junction
• 80% occur in daylight
• 80% of cyclist casualties are male
• Almost one quarter of the cyclists killed or injured are children
• Around three quarters of cyclists killed have major head injuries.
These stats highlight the need for improved road safety awareness for all users, in order to reduce the level of accidents on our roads.